Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Playing Catch-up

I haven't wrote here in awhile, but I wanted to keep everyone updated on the movies I have seen. First off, before I review any movies I would like to say something about "No Country for Old Men." I think I did not give this film enough credit; while it is not the greatest film of the year it deserves to be in the top 10. It is a fine piece of filmmaking, and a second viewing of the film has only made me appreciate it more. I'm still not totally satisfied with the ending, but it is a film that lingers in the mind. I want to revise my rating from *** to ***1/2.

Now for the brief reviews....

"Atonement" (****)
This is my favorite film of the year so far. Joe Wright has really knocked it out of the ballpark with this one. The story started off a little slow for me, but it really captures the audience's attention, slowly pulling them in. The actors all give Oscar caliber performances. Saorise Ronan is amazing as Briony, as is Romola Garai (haven't bothered to check spelling on names). Both can display a range of emotions just with their eyes. Keira Knightley once again does wonders under the direction of Joe Wright. James McAvoy also is excellent as Robbie. I was looking forward to Vanessa Redgrave's part, but it was so small and it just really didn't compare to the other performers. The cinematography was excellent; I loved the long tracking shot of Robbie in the war. The cinematography made the film feel refreshing because it was different from other films. This film also features my favorite score since "Requiem for a Dream." The music in this film is absolutely amazing. I also liked how some scenes were at first shown from Briony's perspective and then it would flashback to what really happened. Perspective is a major theme of the film. The ending was also brilliantly done; it caught me off guard and was very emotional. If I were an Academy member this would get my vote for Best Picture (so far).

"I Am Legend" (***)
This film was good, but it could have been better. I thought Will Smith did a good job of carrying this film. It is definitely one of the better "zombie" movies. I thought some parts were corny and there were some errors in continuity, but the film was nevertheless entertaining. It was haunting at times and interesting to think about. It was also surprisingly sad. Any movie that is deeply emotional is good in my book, even with the few problems.

"Juno" (***1/2)
This is the best original screenplay of the year, a truly wonderfully written film. Diablo Cody's script is flawless. It is quirky, edgy, and very entertaining. I was laughing the entire time. Her script was chock-full of emotion. Ellen Page also gives one of the best performances of the year. Juno is probably the best character in film this year. The audience fell in love with her. I can't imagine anyone playing her as perfectly as Page (who delivered another amazing performance in "Hard Candy" last year). She delivers her lines effortlessly and truly nails the personality of her character. Jennifer Garner is also good as Vanessa, the mother who is going to adobt There is a lot to love about this film.

No comments: