Monday, February 25, 2008

Post-Oscar Thoughts.

I found this year's Academy Awards to be quite entertaining. There were not really any major upsets, except for maybe "The Golden Compass" winning for Best Visual Effects. Here's a rundown of what I liked and didn't like.

3 Best Acceptance Speeches:
1. Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"- You could see the shock, excitement, and joy resonating on her face when they called her name. She was at a total loss for words, and even though I didn't particularly care for the movie, she did give a good performance. It was exhilarating to watch her just take the moment in.

2. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, "Once"- I loved Hansard's humbleness when he spoke. He was truly grateful. My favorite moment of the entire night was Jon Steward calling Marketa Irglova back out to give the speech she didn't get a chance to give. It was a really good speech and much better than just the typical "Thank you....." From the reaction, the crowd really loved this film. This is truly the great independent film story of the year.

3. Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"- I thought her speech was hilarious. She gave a very entertaining speech even though she looked dreadful. She, like Cotillard, was shocked, and that is when the best Oscar moments occur.

BEST DRESSED (Don't have the time to find pictures right now, but I am just going to name who I liked.)
Amy Adams
Katherine Heigl
Jennifer Garner
Marion Cotillard

WORST
Tilda Swinton
Ellen Page

Also, I am working on next year's predictions all ready. I hope to have those out later today.

No comments: