Thursday, January 24, 2008

Early Oscar Predictions

It seems like many of the more acclaimed Oscar prognosticators (maybe that will include me one of these days) are posting their thoughts on who they think will win. I figure I should go ahead and add my two cents before I am accused of stealing ideas.

PICTURE
Juno

Some people are not going to agree with me on this, but I think "Juno" will win Best Picture this year. I see "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" splitting the vote which leaves the winning slot wide open for "Juno." "Michael Clayton" doesn't seem feasible to me, and I think "Atonement" barely (but thankfully) made it into the top five. Plus, the support is there for "Juno." Not many expected it to receive a director nod. It is also the highest grossing film of the five contenders and should not have a problem crossing the $100 million mark.

DIRECTOR
Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men

I think it's theirs to lose. They have won many of the critics' awards, and the film is the "safe" choice to win Best Picture. I could also see Paul Thomas Anderson or Julian Schnabel winning though. Probably not Schnabel, though the Globe win was a nice surprise. Anderson, however, seems to be picking up steam.

ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

I wouldn't say he is guaranteed a win because nothing in the Oscar race is a guarantee, but I'll just I am fairly confident that we will see him on the podium come Oscar night.

ACTRESS
Julie Christie, Away from Her

The support for this film is there, as can be seen by the surprise Adapted Screenplay nod. She is the safe choice right now, even though I really wanted to pick Ellen Page for "Juno."

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

For some reason my gut is telling me to pick him. If he loses the SAG award I may be inclined to switch my pick to Bardem, but I right now I am sticking with Affleck. This prediction may also be a little bit of wishful thinking too.....

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

I don't particularly care for this pick right now and may end up changing it later. I do not think Blanchett will win because of her win a few years back. I could see Saoirse Ronan coming out of nowhere and winning, on what I think will be an odd Oscar night.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Juno

Another prediction that I am fairly confident about.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
No Country for Old Men

This has won most of the critics' awards in this category. I could see a possible upset, but I do not think it is likely.

ANIMATED
Ratatouille

DOCUMENTARY
Sicko

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Counterfeiters

ART DIRECTION
Sweeney Todd

CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

COSTUME DESIGN
Atonement

FILM EDITING
There Will Be Blood

MAKEUP
La Vie en Rose

SCORE
Atonement

SONG
"Falling Slowly" Once

SOUND EDITING
Transformers

SOUND MIXING
Transformers

VISUAL EFFECTS
Transformers

No comments: