Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Top 10 Films of 2007

Before presenting my top 10 films of 2007, I quickly want to name some films that I was unable to see that I was really looking forward to seeing before making this list: “Persepolis,” “4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days,” “Starting Out in the Evening,” and “Southland Tales.” Well, here’s my top 10!

10. Disturbia
OK, please do not immediately dismiss my list because of my first pick. “Disturbia” was probably the most fun I have had at cinemas all year. It may not be the most complex film, but it is certainly fun to watch, and it features a breakthrough performance from Shia LeBeouf. This film probably won’t make an appearnce at my own personal Oscar awards, but it deserves to be recognized somewhere. This film reminded me of the joy that comes with watching a movie; it is fun just to watch a movie for what it is: two hours of pure, popcorn entertainment.

9. Lust, Caution
Ang Lee’s “Lust, Caution” may not be as good as “Brokeback Mountain,” but it is a good follow-up. Tang Wei, in her first feature, gives a brave and commanding performance that really carries the film. The nudity featured in the film may be graphic, but it never takes away from the film. Overall, the film was an emotionally engaging and moving film that takes its time but slowly pulls the viewer in.


8. Once
The scene in which Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova sing “Falling Slowly” is, in my opinion, the best scene to hit cinemas in 2007. Watching that scene I felt like my soul was removed from my body; it was true movie magic. The film could not reach that high point again, but the rest of the film was still extremely enjoyable. “Once” shows that a filmmaker does not need an extraordinary budget to create a good film, just passion.

7. Zodiac
“Zodiac” was the epic crime drama that I was hoping it to be. Many of my friends complained about the film’s length, but the film’s major theme is obsession and how that obsession plagued the individuals involved in the Zodiac case. Director David Fincher stays true to the theme of obsessions and directs the film obsessively himself, illustrating his passion for the subject matter. Great performances all around, well-written screenplay, and nice production design make this film one of the best of its kind in years.

6. No Country for Old Men
I did not realize how great this film was until the second viewing. The first time I saw it I thought it was good, but lost focus in the end. The ending also puzzled me. A second viewing helped me see exactly what filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen had done. The film is extremely suspenseful and captivating, yet there is no musical score—a great accomplishment in itself. The script is extremely well-written and darkly humorous at times. Javier Bardem turns in the creepiest performance since Anthony Hopkins in “The Silence of the Lambs.” It is a film that deserves to be watched more than once and studied. I may not have been totally satisfied with the ending, but I appreciated the great filmmaking that went into making this film.

5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Last year Darren Aronofsky did it with "The Fountain," as well as Alfonso Cuaron with "Children to Men." These are filmmakers that test the boundaries of film, creating instant masterpieces that demand to be watched. Julian Schnabel has joined that elite group of filmmakers with "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," creating an original, visually intoxicating masterpiece. The cinematography in the film was also unlike anything that I had ever seen, creating a totally original moviegoing experience. It is a film that inspires and moves and deserves to be seen.

4. Juno
Diablo Cody has written the best screenplay of the year and the funniest (and most quotable) movie in some time. With “Hard Candy” and “Juno,” Ellen Page shows that she is a force to be reckoned with. Last year, she barely missed my own personal predictions, but there is no way that is going to happen again. Her character is filled with charisma and personality unlike any other (besides Giselle in “Enchanted”) character on the big screen in 2007. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses. I can’t forget to mention the wonderfully subtle and heartbreaking performance given by Jennifer Garner. It is a shame she was snubbed.

3. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
In any other year this probably would have been my favorite film of the year, but 2007 saw many great films. Despite the film’s two hour and forty-five minute running time, I never had to check my watch. My eyes were suctioned to the screen taking in the beauty of this extraordinary film. Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck (especially) give amazing performances; I really hope Affleck can upset Bardem at the Oscars. The cinematography is excellent and establishes Jesse James as a myth that many people do not understand. It is sad that poor marketing doomed this great achievement in filmmaking.

2. Atonement
This is probably my favorite period romance since “Titanic.” It is a film of breathtaking beauty, great performances, and amazing source material. It started off slow in the beginning (all great films seem to), but it subtly pulls the viewer in for an emotional ride that is hard to get out of your head. I am ecstatic about young Saoirse Ronan receiving a Best Supporting Actress nomination. She deserves to win in my opinion. The film is beautifully written and shot and features an extremely powerful score (the best since ‘Requiem for a Dream”).

1. There Will Be Blood This is a film that deserves not only to be watched, but studied. It is a film that seems simple, but is filled with complexities. It is an intense character study about the consequences of greed especially when it crosses path with religion. It is also a searing portrait of a man’s descent into madness. Daniel-Day Lewis gives the best performance in at least a decade. He commands every scene he is in. The end may be classified as chewing scenery, but it was what the scene called for. Plus, no one could have done it better than Day-Lewis. Director Paul T. Anderson has hinted at greatness with his previous films “Boogie Nights” and “Magnolia,’ but he has finally achieved it with “There Will Be Blood.”

No comments: