Thursday, January 3, 2008

"My Most Anticipated of 2008"

Got bored so I figured I would offer my 10 most anticipated films of the year. Here they are:

10. "Cloverfield"
The hype surrounding this film is monstrous (couldn't pass up the pun). The style of filmmaking hasn't been used since "The Blair Witch Project." The marketing for this film has just been amazing. Because of this, I am not sure it can live up to its hype.

9. "Revolutionary Road"
This film will probably be on many people's shortlist for Best Picture next year. The combination of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet (last seen together in "Titanic") will automatically make this film the Best Picture frontrunner when people take wild stabs at predicting next year's Oscars. I know it will be on mine. I have high hopes for this film, but I am afraid its frontrunner status could be its downfall. If you want to compare this film to one of director's Sam Mendes' previous films, the closest one would be "American Beauty," my favorite film of all time (tied with "Donnie Darko").

8. "The Dark Knight"
I liked "Batman Begins," but I do not think it was the amazing film many people were calling it. This, however, looks even better than "Batman Begins." The performance that I am most excited about is Heath Ledger's Joker. I am guessing that he will be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his destined to be crazy performance a la Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean."

7. "Funny Games"
I absolutely loved this trailer. It was totally fantastic and left me salivating at the mouth. I have not seen the original, but I don't want to see it yet. Michael Haneke is an amazing filmmaker. I really enjoyed "Cache." Here's hoping this lives to the expectations I have set for it.

6. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
This film does not really come off as a David Fincher film, but I am eager to see what he does with it. it also stars Brad Pitt, who is in my opinion one of the best actors today. I loved him in both "Babel" and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." Parts of the film were also filmed where I live, so that just helps to boost my expectations.

5. "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince"
I was a little disappointed with the 5th installment, and there is really no way that the movies can live up to the books. No way. The only director that has come close has been Alfonso Cauron. Still, Harry Potter is sort of an obsession for me, so it automatically earns a spot on my list.

4. "The City of Ember"
I love this book. It may be a children's book, but the story is fascinating. When I read it, my thoughts automatically turned to a movie idea. I am an aspiring filmmaker, and when I read this I was like, "I want to make this film." Unfortunately, someone beat me to the punch. The cast is great, lead by Saorise Ronan, who gave an outstanding performance in "Atonement," My favorite film of the year. The film is also directed by the man behind "Monster House," my favorite animated film of 2006.

3. "The Box"
When I first saw Richard Kelly's "Donnie Darko," my life was changed; I didn't look at movies the same way again. The release of his second film ,"Southland Tales," has garnered critical pans. The film still has its following like "Donnie Darko." I have not had the opportunity to see it, but I am sure it is at least better than the critics are giving it credit for. His next film features a better cast and some good source material. Here's hoping to Mr. Kelly can rock my world once again.

2. "The Happening"
I do not care what the critics think about him. I love M. Night Shyamalan. I have enjoyed every one of his film, and "The Sixth Sense" is definitely on my top 10 list. An early script review for this film was positive, and the plot seems interesting. I will be first in line opening night.

1. "Blindness"
I was immediately intrigued when I heard about the concept of this film. The cast is great, and it is directed by the man who brought us "The Constant Gardener." I am interested in seeing what Gael Garcia Bernal brings to the film also. He is one of my favorite actors working today. It is only a matter of time before he wins an Oscar.

No comments: