Friday, November 16, 2007

My Ramblings on the Oscar Race

I have not done a post on the state of the Oscar race in awhile, and I think it is about time that I get my thoughts out. It is the middle of November, and the Oscar season is underway. This is, for me at least, the best time of the year.

BEST PICTURE
I think the only assured nomination this year is "Atonement." I had previously thought that "There Will Be Blood" was guaranteed a nomination; however, even though early reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, some consider it not the Academy's cup of tea. I'm pretty sure that "Juno" will also be nominated. This is the only real comedy in my opinion that stands a chance at a Best Picture nomination. I think this is a serious contender to win the top prize, a dark horse in the race. "No Country for Old Men" is expanding today, and the critics seem to love this film. Reviews have been great. I had previously thought that the Academy would not go for this film, but I do not see how they can ignore the deafening buzz it is garnering. "Sweeny Todd" is also a strong contender. After seeing the preview I have my doubts. From early word of mouth, Johnny Depp's singing voice is not that spectacular, but the film is supposed to be one of Tim Burton's best. Universal seems to be keeping "Charlie Wilson's War" under wraps, and I do not even know what to think of this film. "American Gangster" has received some favorable reviews and is having an amazing box office run, but I just do not think it is Best Picture material.

My predictions:
"Atonement"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Juno"
"There Will Be Blood"
"Sweeny Todd"

I hopefully want to analyze the remaining categories sometime next week, so be looking for those.

No comments: