Monday, November 19, 2007

So....

So I couldn't sleep. It's 1:30 in the morning, and I'm wide awake. This energy is probably going to come back and bite me in the ass later but oh well. I figure since I'm up I might as well give my comments on the Best Actor and Best Actress races.

Best Actor
Right now the actor that everyone is predicting is Daniel Day-Lewis for "There Will Be Blood." He is one of the greatest actors working today, and he is paired with one of the greatest directors working today. How can you go wrong? The early reviews have compared his character to Charles Foster Kane in "Citizen Kane," high praise indeed. Right now I see him winning this award. I don't know who else could. Also watch out for Johnny Depp in Sweeny Todd. I think this performance is going to thrive on Depp's singing ability, and I am not sure if he can deliver. We'll find out soon. George Clooney's portrayal of Michael Clayton is a performance many are predicting, but I don't see it. It was a good performance, but the real standout in that film, if any, was Tom Wilkinson. Many people are also predicting Tom Hanks for "Charlie Wilson's War" and Denzel Washington for "American Gangster." No one has really seen "Charlie Wilson's War" yet, and if I were a voter "American Gangster" would not be getting any of my votes. I can see Denzel getting in because of the film's success, but it is undeserving. I think if the Weinstein's really campaign John Cusack for "Grace is Gone" he can get in. It's a good film, and he does good work. Ryan Gosling is excellent in "Lars and the Real Girl," but I don't see the Academy going for his performance. I think the real underdog could be James McAvoy for "Atonement." He has been on the verge for a year or two. Everyone seems to love "Atonement," and I could see him upsetting Daniel Day-Lewis. Also competing for the breakthrough spot is Emile Hirsch in "Into the Wild." It's a really good performance, and I wouldn't mind seeing him nominated. Another potential dark horse could be Mathieu Amalric in "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," but I'm not so sure. The film is primarily told from his perspective, so the audience rarely sees him. The delivery of his lines is quite poetic, so I wonder if the Academy will look at that. I personally would like to see Brad Pitt nominated for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

MY PREDICTIONS
1. Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
2. James McAvoy, "Atonement"
3. Johnny Depp, "Sweeny Todd"
4. Denzel Washington, "American Gangster"
5. John Cusack, "Grace is Gone"

6. George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
7. Ryan Gosling, "Lars and the Real Girl"
8. Emile Hirsch, "Into the Wild"
9. Tom Hanks, "Charlie Wilson's War"
10. Mathieu Almaric, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

Best Actress
The Best Actress race is more wide open than the Best Actor race. Many people are consistently predicting Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose." I personally did not like the film. She was good, but the film was so bad that it undermines her performance. I think there are three actresses that could win this race. Keira Knightley has a legitimate shot for "Atonement," but I think her chances of a win dwindle everyday. Ellen Page has gained much momentum for "Juno." I thought she was phenomenal in "Hard Candy," and I hope she is as good in "Juno" as she was in "Hard Candy." Amy Adams could also pull off a surprise win for "Enchanted." She has received universal raves. I'm seeing this film tomorrow (actually today), and I should have a review of it later. Many contenders from earlier in the year seem to have decent shots at nominations. Julie Christie would be deserving of a nomination for her performance in "Away from Her." I am campaigning Angelina Jolie's performance in "A Mighty Heart." I would like to see Amber Tamblyn nominated for "Stephanie Daley," but that's impossible. It seems like I am the only one that has seen that film. I also thoroughly enjoyed Tang Wei's brave performance in "Lust, Caution," but a nomination seems unlikely. Laura Linney is also overdue for a nomination, and "The Savages" could be the film to get her that nomination. I think Helena Bonham Carter should have been kept in supporting for "Sweeny Todd," and maybe this will change.

MY PREDICTIONS
1. Amy Adams, "Enchanted"
2. Ellen Page, "Juno"
3. Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"
4. Keira Knightley, "Atonement"
5. Angelina Jolie, "A Mighty Heart"

6. Laura Linney, "The Savages"
7. Julie Christie, "Away from Her"
8. Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Ege"
9. Helena Bonham Carter, "Sweeny Todd"
10. Tang Wei, "Lust, Caution"

No comments: