Saturday, September 1, 2007

First Posting

Hey, my name is Steven, and this is my first posting on my blog. I'm 19 years old and just started at the University of Memphis as a film and video production major. I'm from Louisiana and most of my friends went to LSU. Those are my loser friends who decided not to think outside the dirty boot that is Louisiana and decided to attend that "prestigious" college. It all sounds like a load of crap to me. They just decided to attend a university that they knew their friends were going. Well, I'm fine at the University of Memphis with my imaginary friends besides the few actual friends I have made.

I talked to my brother the other day. We're identical twins, and he just started at LSU. He told me that he had a class with 1,000 kids in it. I don't see how any class can be taught with that many kids. In that situation I would feel like just one tadpole out of 1,000 trying to survive; I bet you a lot of them don't. Most of them probably die, and most of the students in that class will probably drop out or die of AIDS (A friend told me LSU is the seventh most densely populated area of AIDS in the United States.).

Anyways, I really like the University of Memphis. The FC1 learning community that I am in is a great experience. To have four classes with the same 24 kids in a college setting is an amazing thing, and anyone who is given the opportunity to join a learning community should. We have many thought provoking discussions in our classes about civil rights. The professors really challenge their students to think outside the box and start thinking for themselves rather than let someone else do it for them. The University of Memphis seems like a great fit for me. And it better be because my dad told my brother that he doesn't think that I'm going to last a semester. I'm proving him wrong!

No comments: