Sunday, September 9, 2007

It's Been a Long Day

Whenever you have a paper to do or you have to write a speech do you ever just sit at the computer trying to put what you want to say in words, but whatever you type doesn't seem to sound right? Well this is what happens to me everytime I write. Today, I was trying to write my introductory speech for Oral Communications. My topic is euthanasia, and I have to introduce it and why I am interested. I don't know why I'm interested besides the fact that I find it interesting. Now I just need to find a way to say that in four to five minutes.

In papers, the beginning is always the hardest to write. I have things to say, but I just have trouble organizing them at first. I sit at the computer just trying to figure out where to start. I really strain myself putting my thoughts into a concise speech or paper. Today after about five hours I finally came up with a speech that I am pleasantly pleased with. Five hours of my life wasted on coming up with a speech that I have to give in four or five minutes. Then again I would write a sentence, and my fingers would realize that I was tired. They would move the mouse to the internet explorer link and then lead me to facebook. This is a habit I'm trying to control. I need to seclude myself from all these more interesting things to do than write a paper. Procrastination is my worst enemy. I'm trying to get rid of him, but he just doesn't want to go away. It's not that I don't like writing; I really like to write. It's just that I get so frustrated trying to formulate my thoughts that my brain decides to take a break from whatever I am writing without talking it over with me. Well at least my papers get done, and I usually get pretty good grades on them.

I just described this whole frustrating process of writing papers, but for some reason I like doing it. I like when my brain struggles over what to say. I like expressing myself through words. I never seem to dictate what I want to day. It always seems to come out in a misunderstood mess. Hopefully, this will help me when I'm writing screenplays. I just hope people like what I have to say.

No comments: