Wednesday, September 5, 2007

It's Oscar Time!

It's that time of the year again for every movie fanatic to start gearing up for Oscar season and start making his or her predictions. The Venice Film Festival is coming to a close and the Toronto Film Festival is about to begin. The Telluride Film Festival is also underway and the New York Film Festival starts later this month.
Here is my Best Picture Analysis:

1. Atonement: To me, this is the film to beat right now. Focus Features is full of strong films this year and this stands out among the pack. The film, adapted from the novel of the same name by Ian McEwan, played well at the Venice Film Festival. Early reviews say Atonement doesn't stray too far from the novel, which I have not read yet but have heard that it is excellent. The trailer for the film is the best trailer to be released so far this year and left me salivating at the mouth.






2. Sweeny Todd: At the beginning of the year I was hesitant to have this film in my top five. Musicals have had much buzz and frontrunner status going into the Oscar season the past few years (Dreamgirls and The Phantom of the Opera) but have not made any significant impact in the top eight categories. Warner Bros. and Dreamworks have decided to release this film wide on December 21 rather than their planned platform release, indications that it has mainstream appeal. A few images from the film have been released and the poster is absolutely beautiful. Something tells me this film will fare well come nomination time.





3. Reservation Road: Since I started looking at early Oscar contenders back in March for the forthcoming year, this film has been on the top of my list. I was eagerly anticipating Terry George's followup to Hotel Rwanda and the story and cast for this film screamed Oscar. I bought the book the film is based on and read it over the summer. It is a really good book, but I'm not sure how it is going to fare during awards season, at least in this category. The story drags in the middle; it seems repetitive. If the middle is cut down a little then this could be the gut-wrenching, emotional film that the Academy cannot refuse. It will, however, be a major competitor in the acting categories.

4. There Will Be Blood: Paul Thomas Anderson is a god and I will see whatever he makes. His latest film is based off of Upton Sinclair's novel Oil! Early script reviews have been very positive, some even going as far to call this his best script yet. The film also has Daniel Day-Lewis playing the lead, one of the greatest actors working today. This film should be right up the Academy's alley unless it is considered too dark. It's about time the Academy truly embraces Anderson, and I think this is the film to do it.


5. The Kite Runner: I'm extremely skeptical on this pick. There are many films that could have filled this spot, but I chose The Kite Runner. The trailer was good, but not as great as I was expecting. The book, I hear, is really good. It's about time I go out and buy it to see for myself. This is really Paramount Vantage's big Oscar film of the year (I haven't made up my mind on Margot at the Wedding yet.). I think this film could play like Babel, a Best Picture nominee last year: have decent/pretty good reviews and great performances from foreign actors ending in a nomination.

Other Contenders:


6.Charlie Wilson's War: This film has received frontrunner status since the beginning of the year, and I have learned not to pick the frontrunner.


7.American Gangster: This film seems to have a lot going for it: a great, overdue director (Ridley Scott), a great cast (Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe), and it is written by Steven Zaillianv(Gangs of New York). I just never have felt as strongly about it as others. Many people are comparing the story to The Departed, which I don't think bodes well in its favor especially after The Departed just won Best Picture. Also, I didn't particularly care for the trailer. Who knows, maybe I'll end up really liking this film.

8. Elizabeth: The Golden Age: The trailer was impressive, as was Cate Blanchett, but I don't know if this film will be able to overcome the barrier of being a sequel to a previous Best Picture nominee. Only time will tell; it premiers in Toronto in a few days time.
9. No Country for Old Men: I enjoyed the trailer, and this is probaby the most buzzed film from Cannes. For some reason, however, I just don't think it is going to make the final cut, though it should bode well in other categories.

10. Once: This is the darkhorse of the year. Fox Searchlight seems to really know how to campagn, already sending out screeners of Once, The Namesake, and Waitress. This is the best film of the year so far, and I think it has a great possibility of sneaking unexpectedly into the race and becoming a major competitor (sort of like Crash except this film actually would deserve to win).








No comments: