Friday, September 21, 2007

In Response.

I created this blog because for my freshman English class at the University of Memphis we have to write a journal. Mr. Duncan, my professor, suggested that people write their journals in the form of a blog; I immediately took to this idea. I always wanted to start a blog, but I was never really motivated enough. This assignment has served as my motivation.

Now, for the most part, I have been using this blog to give my opinions on certain movies and the upcoming awards season. I have posted a few other articles not related to movies, but for the most part that is all I have been discussing. Movies are my passion, and I am constantly thinking about them.

Mr. Duncan also said that we should use our journal to answer questions that he writes on our papers. Well, I just got my first graded paper back in his class, and while he did not ask me any questions, he did make a comment to me that I would like to thank him for.

When he handed my paper back he asked me, "Are you sure you don't have a secret identity?" Now, I took this to mean that he was asking me if I write under another alias. (Hopefully, this is what he meant by it, because if not then I am sounding really stupid now.) It was an extremely nice thing to say that really moved me. It is the best praise that I have probably ever received, and I am very thankful. Writing is one of my passions, and I am an aspiring screenwriter or film director. A lot of the time I think to myself, "Do I have what it takes to make it in such a difficult, competitive field?" It scares me. This is what I want to do with my life, and I don't know what else I would do.

When I receive high praise like this I am very honored. It gives me hope and lifts my spirits; it makes me think that I can be one of the next generation of filmmakers. It reassures me that I am not moving towards a false dream but an actual reality. Thank you.

No comments: