Friday, September 14, 2007

The Toronto Film Festival.

The Toronto Film Festival is well underway in Canada, and I couldn't be more estatic. This festival is the official start of the Oscar season and usually showcases the films that will make their way to the Kodak theatre in February. Now, I haven't actually been to the festival (however I plan to before I die) but here is an analysis of the buzz that has been floating around.

Films that showcase actors' talents but not their scripts:

"Elizabeth: The Golden Age"- I knew this was coming. People have been toting this film as a Best Picture contender since March, but I just never saw it happening. For one thing, it's a sequel which is automatically one strike against it. While the original was good, it did not deserve all the attention it received. The reviews at the festival are saying it is a beautiful film with very little substance. However, the consensus is that Cate Blanchett delivers another extraordinary performance and will most likely be nominated. This was expected. She is the next Meryl Streep, and there is just no stopping her. All I can say was I called it.

"The Brave One"- People have been predicting Jodie Foster since the beginning of the year, but I never jumped on the bandwagon. The film looked good but not Oscarish in my opinion. Also, Foster's last film, "Flightplan," was a disaster. I'm not so sure anymore though. It seems like Foster has a legitimate shot at being nominated and an expected number one spot at the box office this weekend should play in its favor. I guess I'll pass judgement on this film after the weekend once I have seen it.

"Margot at the Wedding"- I had predicted this in the Best Original Screenplay category at the beginning of the year, but this does not even seem possible anymore. I do believe that Jennifer Jason Leigh will receive a nomination and possibly Nicole Kidman.

"Reservation Road"- I guess I saw this coming; I just never wanted to acknowledge it. Apparently the film is supposed to play like a thriller, but the film just doesn't convey that tone leaving the viewer with a decent film with strong performances. This was a mistake. The film should be a heavy emotional drama, not some thriller. I still think Mark Ruffalo will receive plenty of attention for this one.

Love or Hate:

"Across the Universe" and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"- Both films have received either really positive reviews or negative ones. The negative ones do stress that each film is trying hard to be great, so I guess it could be worse. These are just two of my most anticipated films of the year, and I was wishing for worldwide critical praise. I guess we won't know their Oscar chances until they are officially released, which happens to be today for "Across the Universe." "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" will be released later this month.

And the festival darling is......

"Juno"- This is Jason Reitman's follow up to last year's "Thank You for Smoking." This film has really come out of nowhere to receive all this attention. Roger Ebert is already getting the Oscar campaign ready for this one; his opinions did benefit "Crash." I cannot wait to see this film, and I hope it succeeds. It stars Ellen Page as a girl who has to deal with a pregnancy. I think Ellen Page is a force to be reckoned with. She was phenomenal in "Hard Candy," a film most people did not see, but most that did praised her performance. Ellen Page is the next big thing, and who knows, she may have herself an Academy Award after this year.

No comments: