Friday, September 7, 2007

My Most Anticipated Films of the Fall.

I believe the fall movie season is now underway, so I'm going to countdown my 10 most anticipated movies of the fall movie season.

10. Eastern Promises: This is David Cronenberg's follow up to one of my favorite films of 2005, A History of Violence. He again chooses to cast Viggo Mortensen; these two really make a great pair. Hopefuly Viggo will earn a Best Actor nomination this year after getting snubbed in 2005. It also helps that Naomi Watts is also starring, one of my favorite actresses working today. The early reviews have been positive, and I can't wait to see this film in two weeks time.

9. Lars and the Real Girl: I didn't know much about this film until about a month ago when I came across a glowing script review. I was also surprised to find out that Ryan Gosling stars in it. He gave the best performance out of any actor in last year's Half Nelson, and it won't be long until he wins an Oscar. The film seems like quirky, but nontheless, interesting film. Gosling plays a recluse man who orders a sex doll. He brings "her" around town introducing her to everyone as her girlfriend. That's just a basic premise, but that's all I really need to know that I'm going to see this as soon as I can.

8. Sweeny Todd: Like I said in my Best Picture analysis, I really wasn't expecting much out of this film until the first images and amazing one-sheet were released. Now my anticipation can't be higher. I just hope that my initial instincts weren't right.

7. There Will Be Blood: Paul Thomas Anderson is a great director who rarely puts out a film, but when he does I have to see it. He hasn't really received the credit he deserves yet with the Academy, but I think this film will change that.

6. His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass: The His Dark Materials trilogy is probably my favorite fantasy series besides Harry Potter. I thought the trailer was exceptional, and the cast couldn't be better. I'm just not sure if the movie can live up to the books. I think this film could be the next fantasy to receive a Best Picture nomination, though this is an extreme long shot.

5. Reservation Road: After Hotel Rwanda I will watch anything Terry George does. Joaquin Phoenix will one day win a Best Actor award and this may be that film. The story is a good one: a family has to cope with the death of their child after a hit-and-run. The story also focuses on how the man who hit the kid copes with what he has done. The novel is good, but it drags a little in the middle. It's a good character piece that should earn high praise for the cast.

4. Southland Tales: This is Richard Kelly's follow up to Donnie Darko, my favorite film of all time. So why isn't this at the top of my list? Well, it premiered at Cannes last year, receiving negative reviews. Kelly was forced to condense much of the film, and after a year and a half of editing and redoing some of the effects it is finally being released. This could turn out to be my favorite film of the year or my least.

3. Across the Universe: The trailer for this film was magnificent! Telling a love story between two teenagers through Beatle's music is an interesting concept, and I think Julie Taymor is the perfect person to pull this off. If all goes well this could be a major Oscar contender, but I'm not so sure. Julie Taymor was forced by the studio to reedit the the film, and they had to agree on a compromise. When will studios learn not to mess with a visionary director's art? Hopefully, it will still turn out as great as it looks.

2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: This film was supposed to be released in September of last year, but the studio pushed it back after poor test screenings. The film, however, premiered at the Venice Film Festival and most people seemed to like it. The negative reviews said that it was a overly long, artsy film, which to me is awesome. The new trailer looks great, as does the cinematography. I will be first in line when this is released in Memphis.

1. Atonement: This film looks amazing. Everytime I watch the trailer to this film my heart starts pounding and a chill runs down my spine. The music in it is phenomenall; the best trailer since last year's Little Children. Early reports say the film is every bit as good as the trailer makes it out to be. I think Keira Knightley may be receiving her first gold statue this year. I just hope I'm not too excited...

No comments: