Friday, September 21, 2007

The New Orleans Film Festival

It's almost the end of September, and that means the New Orleans Film Festival is right around the corner. The full lineup of films will actually be revealed Monday on the New Orleans Film Festival website, neworleansfilmfest.com. I actually had the time to see a few of the films last year, and it was pretty fun. I saw "Little Children," "Sherrybaby," and "Babel." It's a great way to see the films that usually don't get a theatrical run in the area. Last year's lineup was one of the festival's best yet, and I'm looking forward to seeing the full lineup of this year's films on Monday.

I'm fortunate enough this year to be able to go. Right now I'm at the University of Memphis, but our fall break falls right around the same time as the beginning of the festival. Unfortunately, I'll miss the closing night film. but hopefully it's nothing too spectacular.

Some of the films have already been announced, and it looks like this year is going to be the best yet. There are three films which I'm really looking forward to seeing. "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Grace is Gone," and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead." I bet you one of these films will be the closing night film; just my luck.

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" is a foreign film on the life of Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffered from a stroke and became paralyzed. The film is seen from his perspective and seems to be a highly original, thought-provoking film.

"Grace is Gone" played at this year's Sundance Film Festival, winning the Audience Award, and stars John Cusack as a man who has to cope with his wife who died in Iraq. John Cusack seems to be having a good year, and he may even get nominated for his performance in this one.

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" is directed by Sidney Lumet and stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke as brothers planning a robbery of a jewlery store. I believe this is one of the festival's opening night selections.

Just a partial list of the lineup has me salivating at the mouth, and I cannot wait until the full lineup is revealed on Monday. The festival runs from October 11-18. Also of special interest is that Vince Vaughn is supposed to be making an appearance this year. I'm not sure of any other high profile stars yet. The film festival seems to have grown, especially after Katrina. This is really a great thing for the New Orleans area, and I hope the festival only continues to get bigger. I will post Monday on the films that I will probably be seeing.

P.S. I caught a special screening of "Resident Evil: Extinction" last night. The film is not worthy of a review or your money. I'll give it 1/2 * out of ****.

No comments: